WMS tiles & artifacts

Shorthouse, David dps1 at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Jan 18 14:20:34 EST 2007

Hello folks,

I have been trying to marry MapServer with Google Map with 90% success to
overlay lots of "markers", but when a point generated from a layer in the
mapfile touches the edge of a tile, there's an artifact in the shape of a
horizontal black line. I have seen this before in other implementations &
this artifact is usually the same color as that expressed in CLASS COLOR for
the relevant layer. This artifact doesn't appear in a native MapServer app
using a template so I'm not sure what's going on here. Example:
http://tinyurl.com/37loz7. I have tried playing with the transparency among
other options but to no avail. I also notice that "markers" touching the
vertical sides of a generated tile are often cut-off & don't spill over into
the adjacent tile as they should, but there's no black line. For reference,
this is an OGR connection and the mapfile as I write this is below:

#Note: "---" below indicate stuff I have cleared the purposes of this
posting

MAP

  NAME Nearctic

  STATUS ON

  IMAGETYPE PNG

  EXTENT -142 41 -52 85

  SIZE 256 256

  UNITS DD

  SHAPEPATH "---"

  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

  SYMBOLSET "---"

  FONTSET "---"

OUTPUTFORMAT

  NAME PNG

  DRIVER "GD/PNG"

  MIMETYPE "image/png"

  IMAGEMODE RGBA

  EXTENSION "png"

  FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=ON"

  TRANSPARENT ON

END

PROJECTION

  "init=epsg:54004"

END

  LAYER

    NAME spiders

    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR

    CONNECTION '<OGRVRTDataSource>

                        <OGRVRTLayer name=" ---">

                                    <SrcDataSource>ODBC:---</SrcDataSource>

                                    <SrcSQL>---</SrcSQL>

                                    <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>

                                    <LayerSRS>WGS84</LayerSRS>

                                    <GeometryField
encoding="PointFromColumns" x="Longitude" y="Latitude"/>

                        </OGRVRTLayer>

                        </OGRVRTDataSource>'

    DATA SpiderData

    STATUS DEFAULT

    TYPE POINT

    DUMP TRUE

    FILTERITEM ---

    FILTER "%---%"

    PROJECTION

      "init=epsg:4326"

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "< 1900"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] < 1900)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 34 139 34

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "1900 - 1920"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 1900 and [Year] < 1920)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 0

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "1920 - 1940"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 1920 and [Year] < 1940)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 154 205 50

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "1940 - 1960"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 1940 and [Year] < 1960)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 0

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "1960 - 1980"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 1960 and [Year] < 1980)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 255 165 0

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "1980 - 2000"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 1980 and [Year] < 2000)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8

    END

    CLASS

            NAME "> 2000"

            EXPRESSION ([Year] >= 2000 and [Year] ne 9999)

            COLOR 0 0 0

            OUTLINECOLOR 178 34 34

            SYMBOL "circle"

            SIZE 8