Support for WFS-T

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Jan 24 23:38:04 EST 2007

Louvy Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am newbie to the GIS.
>
> Are there any plans for supporting WFS-T in mapserver? I realize that
> mapserver supports WFS server feature but I am looking for the ability
> to write back to WFS server. If not, what are the non-mapserver
> opensource components which have support for WFS-T? Any ideas appreciated.

Louvy,

There is no support for WFS-T in MapServer, and no plans I am aware of to
add it.  In fact, I think it would be a poor fit for a couple reasons:

  o MapServer's current feature model is read-only, and adding write would
    be quite a bit of work.
  o MapServer has a rather "weakly typed" feature model - at least as
    regards attributes, and this doesn't very naturally support update.
    In fact, I think it moderately hurts the usefulness of the readonly
    WFS for some applications.

GeoServer is the premiere open source WFS-T implementation.  I think
the Deegree folks also have a WFS-T though I don't know much about it.

Best regards,