a question about generating map data structure

Shawn Zhu wzhu at CERT.UCR.EDU
Mon Jul 16 16:02:29 EDT 2007

HI, Dear all,

    I just joined this emailist and was excited to find such a group. I am not
alone :).
    I am doing some GIS stuff and have a question.
    I am trying to develop some algorithm similar to dijkstra, and have
finished debugging with my testing hand-built graph. Now I want to test this
algorithm with real map data.
    The problem is I don't know how to convert a map data(e.g. shape file) to a
data structure(like graph node matrix/linked list) I can use. Is there any way
or software I can use? Can anybody give me any hint? Thanks a lot.

   Shawn Zhu.
   July 16, 2007