Coordinate Conversion

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 10 22:55:52 EDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Ian Tidy <IANT at napier.govt.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help with a small enhancement to my MapServer site.  I have been
> asked to display the map extents and centre in other coordinate systems.
> Currently the map window returns NZMG co-ordinates, I have been asked to
> supply these coordinates in NZTM, WGS84, and a few others.
>
> I am using MapServer 4.6, MapScript and PHP on a Linux Server.
> Is there a MapScript function that will convert between coordinate systems
> or is there another way of doing this?
>
> Cheers Ian

Are you looking to do this on the client (browser) or the server?
There is a client-side library at:
   http://svn.codehaus.org/mapbuilder/cscs/trunk/
that is a port of the Proj.4 code from C to JavaScript. It is not a
totally user friendly package yet, but it is the best bet for
JavaScript, client-side, coordinate transformation. I have an example
of it here:
   http://www2.tetonwyo.org/mapserver/tcd.html
It works only in FireFox, but that limitation has nothing to do with
the coordinate system transformation, it is the blue scroll bars
around the sides.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood