Newbie question: Adding "labels"

David Wilson david.craig.wilson at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 12:30:41 EDT 2007

First off, thanks for making such a great product in MapServer. Really
enjoying it.

I think I'm having a jargon problem. I can't figure out if the data I
have contains labels (for example highway numbers) and how to get
MapServer to display them.

In the mapfile reference, I expect "label" to refer to the thing I'm
looking for, but that seems to refer to text manually inserted in the
map file.

How do I determine if the names are included in the shapefile data?
How do I display the names with MapServer?

Thanks!
Dave

Information about the road data:
http://nationalatlas.gov/metadata/road00l.faq.html
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/label
http://maps1.trac-king.com/tk4/itasca/demo_init.html

[data]$ ls
citiesx020.dbf  citiesx020.tar.gz  road_l.prj  road_l.shp
roads_French.txt  statesp020.shx
citiesx020.shp  citiesx020.txt     road_l.sbn  road_l.shx
statesp020.dbf    statesp020.tar.gz
citiesx020.shx  road_l.dbf         road_l.sbx  roadsenglish.txt
statesp020.shp    statesp020.txt