Mapserver damn slow

Pascal Ehlert dadark at DADARK.DE
Sun Jun 17 16:11:03 EDT 2007

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> It'd also be helpful, Pascal, to know whether and how you've indexed
> the PostGIS data, and whether you've analyze-ed it or vacuum-ed it or
> cluster-ed it, how much memory you've thrown at it. The PostGIS end of
> your setup is in itself an entire subsystem worthy of examination and
> optimization.
>
> Then there's the setup of your classes and what sort of expressions
> you're using to classify, whether you have labels enabled, and so on.
> The number of layers isn't necessarily as important as the total
> number of classes, combined with how many classes will be examined for
> each vector feature before finding a match and moving on to the next
> point. (e.g. put the class that matches the most records at the top)
>

> Personally, I think that benchmark-style stats such as "3.9 requests
> per second" are rarely accurate, since you didn't say how you got the
> figure. If it takes 0.25 seconds to render a map, and you could have
> an end-user experience of maps reloading in half a second, then that's
> pretty nice. It doesn't *necessarily* mean that you can only serve 4
> requests in one second, either; unless your tests really were doing
> parallel requests and averaging the time, etc. And if the stats were
> accurate, I'd say that 4 requests per second or 345,000 requests per
> say, is pretty nice for what is now considered an entry-level PC!

At first, thank your for your answers.

Ok, I made the benchmark from a remote pc and know 3,9req/s aren't very
meanful ;)
Just wanted to give a quick figure, I benchmarked once with several
requests at a time, once with only one.
Anyway..
The first thingwhich helped me a lot was PROCESSING
"CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER".. That hit me upto 10req/s (see in relation
with the other figure only ;)).

I didn't optimize the postgres db so far.
Ah, the map looks like this:
http://85.199.1.166/tmp/Mozambique118209637430644.png

Just give me some general ideas what I could optimize further.

Thank you

Pascal