Problems in testing Java Mapscript

Helena García Hernando helenagarcia at GRUPOTECOPY.ES
Tue Jun 19 07:48:56 EDT 2007

Hello, Gaia

If you are using Tomcat with Eclipse, try appending to its library path (in
the configuration of Tomcat in Eclipse, not in Apache Tomcat Properties )
the paths where you have mapscript.dll and the others linked to it (i.e.
C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin and C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin\mapscript\java)

-----Mensaje original-----
De: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] En
nombre de Gaia Trecarichi
Enviado el: jueves, 07 de junio de 2007 17:04
Para: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Asunto: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Problems in testing Java Mapscript

 Hello,

I have some problem in testing Java Mapscript.

I answer some questions posted by Umberto and Rodrigo (thanks for the
reply):

- Probably there is a problem with sde91.dll because , using
Dependency Walker to scan mapscript.dll, it is found that sde91.dll is
missing. I cannot understand why mapscript.dll need sde91.dll since
I'm not using arcSDE. In case I need it, how can I download it?

- Yes, I have rebooted Windows after changing SYSTEM path variable

-  Yes, I'm sure the path is set correctly in the SYSTEM variable

If someone knows the correct list of the dll needed, please let me know.

Below is reported in plain text the original email I sent some days ago:

Hello,

I'm new in mapserver stuff and I'm trying to use Java Mapscript
without any success.

My environment is:

    * Windows XP
    * MS4W version 4.10.1.
    * JDK 1.6.0_01
    * Eclipse

I wanted to test some Java Mapscript functionality with a simple Java
program whose code is the following:

import edu.umn.gis.mapscript.*;

 public class ProvaMapscript {

.

  String mappath= new String("C:\\ms4w\\apps\\e-rescue\\" );

  mapObj map = new mapObj(mappath.concat(" emergency2.map"));

  imageObj image = map.draw();

  String image_url = "C:\\ms4w\\tmp\\ms_tmp\\emergency.png";

      image.save(image_url, map);

 }

 }

I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\mapscript.dll: Can't find dependent
libraries

      at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method )

      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

      at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

      at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

      at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.<clinit>(mapscriptJNI.java:23 )

      at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>( mapObj.java:276)

      at ProvaMapscript.main( ProvaMapscript.java:51)

I don't know exactly which libraries mapscript.dll requires but as far
as I could see from some forum the following list of dll's  is needed:

bgd.dll

gdal14.dll

geotiff.dll

iconv.dll

kernel32.dll

libcurl.dll

libecwj2.dll

libmap.dll

libmysql.dll

libpq.dll

libproj.dll

libtiff.dll

mapscript.dll

msvcr71.dll

msvcrt.dll

ntdll.dll

pdflib.dll

proj.dll

xerces-c_2_7.dll

zlib1.dll

dwmapi.dll

I have them in the directory "C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin" and this
directory is in the system environment variable PATH.

I don't know exactly which is the problem. I'm thinking to 2 things:

1- As far as I can understand there is a library, namely sde91.dll,
that is needed by libmap.dll. I can't    find this library in my
system. Is there anybody who knows where I can download this library?
(but I think I don't need it since I'm not using ESRI's ArcSDE)

2- Is it possible that my Java Mapscript files are not compatible with
my JDK version 1.6.0? I say it because I read in the
README_INSTALL.txt of MS4W the following:

MapScript

Java MapScript: compiled against Java 1.5.07

If anybody could help me in this problem I would be infinitely grateful!!

Thank you in advance,

Gaia