Image projection saga (continued)

Stephen Davies sdc at SDC.COM.AU
Thu Jun 21 00:05:57 EDT 2007

Despite feedback from this list, I have still not resolved my problem
where data converted and transformed from a shape file to PostGIS does
not project in the same way as the geotiff on which the shape file was
based.

Previously, I was transforming the shape file coordinates from the
original SRID 28354 to 4283 for storage in the database. When this data
was overlaid on the raster image (SRID=28354), the polygons did not
line up.

The map projection definition is:

    PROJECTION
        "proj=eqc"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "towgs84=0,0,0"
        "no_defs"
       "lon_0=139.591e"
    END

I have now tried creating a polygon (SRID 28354) using the boundary
coordinates of the raster image as determined from gdalinfo and
overlaying that onto the image. (This removes the transform to 4283 and
the subsequent reprojection to eqc.)

Still I see the polygon shift north by about 20m and by a tiny amount
east.

This suggests to me that the method used to project geometries is
somehow different from that used to project rasters as both sources now
have the same SRID and could reasonably be expected to produce the same
results.

To further confuse me, if I change the map projection to either 28354 or
4283, everything lines up (but my scale bar and reference maps break).
I have searched all the documentation I can find but cannot find
anything that describes the relationship between maps, sale bars and
reference maps apart from a statement that reference map extent must be
expressed in map units.

TIA,
Stephen Davies
This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83