list of common extents

Matthew Perry perrygeo at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 21:15:08 EDT 2007

On 6/25/07, anthony farrant <anthony.k.farrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Anybody know if there exists a file with a list of common extents, say
> countries, continents,...
>
> This could be useful.
>
> Would there be some way to automatize the creation of such a list?

The easiest way would be to load a countries shapefile into postgis
and calculate the extent of each country:

 select extent(the_geom), name
 from countries
 group by name;

I believe the community mapbuilder project also ships with an xml file
containing the extents for most countries.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller