More GDAL problems

Alan Hale alan.hale at BTCLICK.COM
Thu Jun 28 11:08:37 EDT 2007

Yes, I've successfully installed Mapserver/Chameleon on a test system
without Apache or PHP pre-installed. My "working server" has Apache and
PHP5 installed as a module. I'm not clear on the implications when this
is the case - whether the FGS install will impinge on applications
running on the PHP5 module (including Plesk Control panel) for example.
I've asked about this on the Chameleon mailing list now, awaiting a
reply.

> /me scans for previous post.
>
> Was it "Problem installing gdal" where you say:
>
> """
> Trying to do a make install of gdal-1.4.1 on Fedora. This
> seems to have a problem with Python.
>
> Make[1]: [gdal_wrap.o] Error 1
> Make: [py-module] Error 2

Yes

> First, you haven't given enough text around the failure to
> constructive answer.  No doubt why I ignored it the first time around.

Apologies. It was a straight configure, with no options

> But also, what do you need python for if you want to use Chameleon?
> If you don't need it just configure "--without-python".   There are
> lots of messy problems that can arise as you start adding
> languages and external libraries to gdal builds.

Good point! I've now tried the gdal configure --without-python and it
works fine, and is happy to play with the mapserver config.

Many thanks for your advice.

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth
Wales