beginner: Again MapInfo .tab .dat .id .map with white image

Thu Mar 1 10:48:57 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>> 3) As I have hundreds of these files, should I create a LAYER for each
>> file ?
>
> If the files are spatially distinct then you could likely prepare a
> tileindex for them.  Then you would use a single layer referencing
> the tileindex, and the tileindex would have the list of all the individual
> files.  The ogrtindex program can be used to create such a tile index.
>
> There are a variety of issues with tileindex, so I'd encourage you
> to read up about them before trying them.

One of the main requirement for tiled layers is that all files need to
share the exact same set of attributes.

Note that if you are a MapInfo user you can create a "Seamless Table"
with all your files directly in MapInfo and then point MapServer to the
seamless .TAB file in your OGR CONNECTION and MapServer will take care
of the rest. This is exactly the same concept as MapServer Tile Index
files, but in the MapInfo world, and MapServer supports both.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/