Raster TIF format Help

Sun Mar 4 12:07:21 EST 2007

Ed McNierney, et al,

What is the conventional knowledge on how to organize TIF images
internally for optimal access by mapserver?

I remember that TIF files can have a lot of different internal
organizations and that some are much more efficient for mapserver to
access when serving data.

I am looking at putting together some topo map scans and Landsat imagery
of the middle east. The topo maps are roughly 4000x3000 pixels and in
various scales like 500k, 200k, 100k, 50k, and the landsat imagery is
looks to be in 1 deg squares.

Can GDAL be used to reorganize the images and if so what options should
I specify? or are there other tools I need to use?

Thanks,
   -Steve