Adding a shape to a map dynamically

Fri Mar 9 11:49:19 EST 2007

What technology options do you have? Are you using MapScript, the CGI, any particular client?

Many of the clients have their own abilities here.

With MapScript I would define your presentation layer ahead of time in the mapfile, build a shapeObj and add it to the layer, then draw the layer or map.

With the CGI you can define inline features at runtime. Here's an example (w/a point):

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv410?map=/usr/local/mapserver/apps/waters/csg/reference.map&mode=map&layer=site&map_site_feature_points=342601.236380747+5193344.65190589

There is a presentation layer called "site" that I add one point to. Same approach would apply to a polygon, just more points (first=last).

Steve

<259e26270703090826n232af065ndf0436ec711e2489 at mail.gmail.com>, Ben Tuttle