Does MapServer support WMS time series using polygon shapefiles?

Peter Shrock thesl at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 9 13:03:34 EST 2007

Hello,all:

I am having difficulties to make WMS time series work.

I am using mapserver 4.10.0. I tested point data with time dimension, it
worked. I tested tiled polygons, it worked.

But I cannot get polygon shapefile work for time series WMS

I used identitical polygon shapefiles, one shapefile for one year. tile index
shapefile (index1.shp) was created using tile4ms.exe, and I verified the
contents of the file.

I tried two methods in order to make the WMS time series work. Both failed.

Could you please help me?

# Test method 1: everything in one layer object
LAYER
  NAME "timemap"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS ON
  METADATA
        "wms_title" "timemap"
        "wms_timeformat" "YYYYMMDD"
        "wms_timeextent" "20021130/20061130"
        "wms_timeitem" "DATETIME"
        "wms_timedefault" "20021130"
        "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
   END
   TILEINDEX "index1.shp"
   TILEITEM  "Location"

    CLASSITEM "color_code"
    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 1"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==1)
      COLOR      220 120 130
        OUTLINECOLOR 150 150 150
    END

    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 2"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==2)
      COLOR      255 255 155
        OUTLINECOLOR 150 150 150
    END

    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 3"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==0)
      COLOR      200 200 200
        OUTLINECOLOR 100 100 100
    END
END # one layer object method

# Test method 2: seperate tileindex layer and data layer
LAYER
    NAME "mylayer"
    STATUS ON
    TYPE RASTER
    TILEINDEX "index1"
    TILEITEM "Location"
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  METADATA
    "wms_title" "mylayer"
    "wms_srs"   "epsg:4326"
    "wms_timeformat" "YYYYMMDD"
    "wms_timeextent" "20021130/20061130"
    "wms_timeitem" "DATETIME"
    "wms_timedefault" "20030210"
  END
    SIZEUNITS PIXELS

    CLASSITEM "color_code"
    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 1"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==1)
      COLOR      220 120 130
        OUTLINECOLOR 150 150 150
    END

    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 2"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==2)
      COLOR      255 255 155
        OUTLINECOLOR 150 150 150
    END

    CLASS
    NAME  "TYPE 3"
      EXPRESSION ([color_code]==0)
      COLOR      200 200 200
        OUTLINECOLOR 100 100 100
    END
END

LAYER
  NAME "tidx"
  TYPE TILEINDEX
  STATUS ON
  DATA index1
  FILTERITEM 'DATETIME'
  FILTER '%DATETIME%'
END # tile layer

The error message is:
msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'timemap'.
msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image format
drawEPP(): Image handling error. EPPL7 support is not available.

The error message does not seem helpful.

Thanks

Peter