Does MapServer support WMS time series using polygon shapefiles?

Peter Shrock thesl at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 11 10:18:53 EDT 2007

When I changed the TYPE from RASTER to POLYGON using both methods, I got this
error:

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'timemap'.
msDBFGetItemIndex(): DBASE file error. Item 'TIMES' not found

I guess this means MapServer tried to find TIMES field in the time series
shapefiles. But this field is only in the tile index shapefile.

This error message is consistant in two PCs I have tested.

However, to make things even more confusing, I tested on two PCs using TYPE
RASTER, and both methods. On the second PC, I actually got a blank image (with
the scale bar only), which means that MapServer does not think there is any
error. I removed the &TIME parameter, and still got a blank image (with the
scale bar only).

The value in the "Times" field of the tile polygon was added using ArcView, so
only YYYYMMDD date format is supported.

The mapserver cgi progrmas were from the ms4w package (I deleted all the files
starting with php* though).

By the way, which method I used is the correct/prefereed method?

Thanks

Peter