[Gdal-dev] when are overviews displayed for a 6 inch geotiff that has gdaladdo -r average file.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Mar 26 22:51:24 EDT 2007

John -

In order to calculate a scale ratio, like 1:10,000 you need to know the
output resolution of the image.  The conversion is governed by the value
specified by the MapServer RESOLUTION keyword, which has a default value
of 72 if not otherwise specified.  This is the assumed resolution of the
output image device in pixels per inch.  A scale of 1:10,000 means that
one something on the map equals 10,000 somethings on the ground.  So one
inch on the map equals 10,000 inches on the ground.  Since you know that
one inch on the map equals 72 pixels (through the RESOLUTION setting),
you now know that 72 pixels equals 10,000 inches.  That's a resolution
of 10,000/72 = 138.89 inches per pixel.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker