WMS/WFS Authentication

Sat May 26 15:38:41 EDT 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> I've used simple http authentication and x509 certificates in the
> past, although I'm sure there are other approaches.
>
> I guess an initial question would be what/how do you want secure your
> WMS/WFS w.r.t. granularity?  Do you want to protect the entire
> WMS/WFS?  Or specific layers/feature types?

I think initially I'm looking at a gate keeper functionality. I think
the big issue is that I don't know what clients I need to support, and I
don't think it is safe to assume it will always be a browser.

Do you have a writeup on how you setup http authenication and x509 certs
wrt to WMS/WFS services? This sounds like it would be worthwhile adding
to the wiki.

I did a google search and found various reference to discussions on
this. Also found http://www.geoxacml.org/ which seems to be a complex
solution.

Thanks,
   -Steve W