Display non spatial table

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Oct 2 09:34:09 EDT 2007

If your data was a feature class in SDE, you could connect through an
OGR SDE connection, more info here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/arcsde

You can likely do a 'virtual datasource' connection using OGR.  Info at
the below link.  In setting it up, you define which columns contain your
X and Y coords.  I have done this with Access, text, and MySQL, but not
Oracle.  The documentation indicates that it is possible with Oracle.

Performance should be OK for drawing, but it is not optimal for queries.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialDa
ta

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Johannes Loose
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:50 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Display non spatial table

Hello List,

I'd like to display a non spatial table from an ORACLE Database
(accessible trough SDE) using Mapserver. The table includes two fields X
and Y that contain coordinates, representing point features. In ArcGIS
it is possible to create an event layer from X/Y data. Is there anything
comparable using mapserver?

When asking in the IRC channel, alienbrain told me that it's no problem
to display X/Y data using mapscript, but what I need is a WMS to be used
in mapbender. Can this be done? If yes, what is the correct mapfile
syntax?

Best regards

Johannes