Terminology Cleanup - SCARY

Hal Mueller hal at MOBILEGEOGRAPHICS.COM
Wed Oct 3 17:36:06 EDT 2007

At 8:20 AM +0200 10/3/07, Flavio Hendry wrote:
>just because someone out
>there is picky about terms.

That language makes the Mapserver change sound like pedantic
nonsense.  I assure you it is not.  Someone coming into Mapserver
from a cartographic or navigation background looks at "scale" as an
axis increasing in one direction, but the old Mapserver terminology
turned that axis completely around.  I was forever questioning what
"smaller scale" and "minimum scale" meant in the documentation--do
they mean the real definition, or the Mapserver definition?

If you're going to use precise terms from any discipline in a
software project for that discipline, the software should honor their
meaning, not reverse it.

Hal