pdf output issues: labels garbled and not buffered, lines "broken"

Maciej Sieczka tutey at O2.PL
Thu Oct 4 02:29:15 EDT 2007

Guillaume Sueur wrote:
> Hi, It's been a long time since I haven't done some
> direct PDF outpout by mapserver... However, I maybe have
> a clue. There was by that time a FORMATOPTION
> "OUTPUT_TYPE=RASTER" for PDF. In that way, the image was
> generated as PNG and included into the PDF. I think that
> may solve your problem.

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply. I know about the OUTPUT_TYPE=RASTER
option. I don't want to use it as it is a raster output as a
matter of fact. For raster output PNG is just OK. I was
looking for a way to generate a nice vector map (SVG does
not look good either).

> Usually for creating PDF, I use the php pdf binding to
> create a file from scratch and then add images and text
> to it.

Well still images are raster in that case.

> For a map, I double width and height but include
> it on its original size to gain resolution.

(I guess pure vector PDF could be also smaller than a PDF
containing high-res rasters.)

The point of my post is that PDF output seems broken -
national characters in labels are garbled, labels are
not buffered, vector lines disjoined. Is this a bug, a
feature or my error?

Maciek