pdf output issues: labels garbled and not buffered, lines "broken"

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 4 03:05:48 EDT 2007

> The point of my post is that PDF output seems broken -
> national characters in labels are garbled, labels are
> not buffered, vector lines disjoined. Is this a bug, a
> feature or my error?

Probably a bug ;-). There has been considerable effort in support
national characters in mapserver lately, although it might not have
been ported back to the pdf output writer.

Please check that the environment (LANG, LC_*) used by shp2img
reflects *exactly* the encoding used to create the dbf/shp files.
I.e.: if you created the shp files in UTF-8 and then have the
ISO8859-? encoding, when rendering with shp2img it is quite possible
that national chars become mangled.

Umberto