Terminology Cleanup - SCARY

Fri Oct 5 00:08:38 EDT 2007

Forgot about ...ITEM parameters. Those are indeed gone. We did the best
we could and 5.0 was the best place to drop parameters altogether. I suppose
I could have figured a way to maintain mapfile level compatability for those but
at the expense of the maintainability I was looking for in the first place. Since
those where lightly used (relative to MINSCALE) away they went.

Like I said, while the ...Denom is *official* the old keywords will continue to be
supported at the mapfile level. It pays to belong to mapserver-dev, although
perhaps we could solicit comments more broadly on RFC's by cc'ing mapserver-users
when they are introduced.

Steve

>>> Flavio Hendry <flavio at TYDAC.CH> 10/04/07 12:50 AM >>>
Hi Steve

As for example LABELANGLEITEM and LABELSIZEITEM were thrown out in MS
5.0, we will have a some headache moving to 5.0 (go find all the files
using in and change them all manually and this during production).
Seeing the Scale issues headache was increasing. As said, we have
hundreds of MapFiles around, and I find that backward compatibility is
crucial.

And btw, for non English speaking people "MinScaleDenom" will be far
more confusing then "MinScale" (which is to me and to any client I ever
met crystal clear). Denom sounds to us more as an after shave as
something else (or was it Denim?) ...

Mit freundlichem Gruss / Best Regards
Flavio Hendry

TYDAC Web-Site:  http://www.tydac.ch
TYDAC MapServer: http://www.mapserver.ch
############      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind Regards
############             mailto:flavio at tydac.ch