Mapserver with memcached

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at METACARTA.COM
Fri Oct 5 09:48:10 EDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 03:29:03PM +0200, Paul Scott wrote:

> Has anyone used mapserver with memcached?
>
> What I am thinking of doing is either:
>
> 1. Caching resultsets from PostGIS before mapserver gets them OR
> 2. Caching the actual output from mapserver with a relatively low TTL.
>
> Anyone done something similar? Any problems? Any successes?

I have, in the past, used memcached + TileCache to cache Mapserver data
-- see http://tilecache.org/ for more information about TileCache. It's
not particularly well documented, but a user came to me the other day
and told me they are using it in production without problems.

In general, I use disk-based storage, because it's faster than memcached
until you have enough machines to make a memcached cluster reasonable,
and there's more of it than memory. However, all my data 'lives forever'
-- we  don't have anything with high temporarl differences -- so I'm a
special case.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt