Can I export MapInfo "styleitem" info to PostGIS?

Wed Oct 10 09:07:51 EDT 2007

Flavio Hendry wrote:
> Hi Jacob
>
> I do not think that you could do that as the moment. FME (www.safe.com)
> would bring the styles along to PostGIS. However there is no way to
> define any other STYLEITEM as "auto" at the moment.

That's correct. The original plan was to eventually support binding
STYLEITEM to any attribute which would contain a style string in the
format that OGR produces/understands, but we never got to that and only
STYLEITEM AUTO has been implemented.

> "auto" is more or
> less limited to colors as far as I know.

AUTO also supports mapping symbols, fonts and about anything you find in
MapInfo symbology. You need to have the right entries in your fontset
and symbolset for the mapping to work. This should be covered by the OGR
HowTo.

> Ideal would be something like
> COLORITEM pointing to a column containing RGB color info ...

This is possible with v5.0, you'd use:

    COLOR [mycolor]

Where "mycolor" is the attribute name from the data source. Color can be
given as a hex value (e.g. #FFFFFF) or an RGB triplet (e.g. 255 255 255).

The following properties can accept bindings in 5.0:

* Style: angle, color, outlinecolor, size, symbol
* Label: angle, color, outlinecolor, size, font, priority

That is the reason why LABELITEM, ANGLEITEM, etc were dropped in 5.0.
e.g. LABELITEM was replaced by "LABEL [mylabelitem]", etc.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/