Postgres Raster image display

Ryan Ollerenshaw ryanollerenshaw at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 22 17:28:44 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Ryan Ollerenshaw <ryanollerenshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can i use a Postgres database to display raster images with
> Mapserver?  There are lots of examples on display features this way
> and using a gdaltindex to create a shapefile but i cant find any that
> talk about using a database to store raster images.  Here is what i am
> currently trying:
>
> LAYER
>   NAME "stereo_simp"
>   TYPE RASTER
>   PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO" #rescale 16-bit image to 8-bit
>   STATUS on
>   CONNECTION "host=localhost dbname=test user=postgres"
>   CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
>   DATA "location FROM stereo"
>   TILEINDEX "stereo" #the table name
>   TILEITEM "location" #column that contains the path to the image
> END
>
> if i just try and display the image directly it works just fine:
>
> LAYER
>   NAME "stereo_simp"
>   TYPE RASTER
>   PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO" #rescale 16-bit to 8-bit
>   STATUS on
>   DATA "/hiview/products/data/20070929_000600_14euA_171_16_gdal.tif"
> END

Sorry i should have been more clear on my post I do not want to store
the images directly in the database, what i am trying to do is store
the location of the image in the database and use mapserver to read
this location column and display the image.  This works fine when
using gdaltindex when gdal generates the dbf file for example using
this technique:

LAYER
  NAME "stereo_simp"
  TYPE RASTER
  PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO" #rescale 16-bit to 8-bit
  STATUS on
  TILEINDEX "images.shp"
  TILEITEM "location"
END

but when i try to use Postgres as the TILEINDEX this does not work, ie:

LAYER
  NAME "stereo_simp"
  TYPE RASTER
  PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO" #rescale 16-bit to 8-bit
  STATUS on
  CONNECTION "host=localhost dbname=test user=postgres"
  CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
  TILEINDEX "the_geom FROM stereo"
  TILEITEM "location"
END