wfs server and encoding

Wed Oct 24 15:18:52 EDT 2007

Milo van der Linden wrote:
> I ran in to exactly the same problem, getting the data in UTF-8 was an
> absolute " must"  in order to get the labels to show up right in a Flash
> GIS client.
>
> After searching the internet and contacting some technicians at MapInfo
> UK, I found that the only solution was to create a postGIS database in
> UTF-8 format; read the MapInfo data into the postGIS database with OGR
> and correcting encoding errors by hand....

Err... if hacks are an option, then here is an untested hack that might
be a bit simpler:

1- Use ogr2ogr or MITAB's tab2tab program (http://mitab.maptools.org/)
to convert the tab dataset to .MIF/.MID

2- The TAB attributes are stored in the .MID file which is a regular
text file. You could use the iconv command-line utility (on Linux
anyway) to convert the encoding of attributes to UTF-8:

   iconv –from-code=ISO-8859-1 –to-code=UTF-8 mydata.mid > mydata_utf8.mid

3- Copy mydata.mif to mydata_utf8.mif

4- Edit the mydata_utf8.mif to change the Charset line to whatever
MapInfo uses for UTF-8 (presumably "UTF-8")

5- Use ogr2ogr or tab2tab to convert mydata_utf8.mif + mydata_utf8.mid
to TAB format.

This process can easily be scripted in a .BAT or bash file to run on
multiple files.

Once again, I didn't test this, but I can't see why that would not work.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/