MapServer and AGG licences

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Oct 25 19:47:55 EDT 2007

The main branch of Mapserver doesn't not have to be re-licensed in
order for Mapserver to be distributed under the GPL. I can take a
copy of SVN right now, and set up a new Mapserver-GPL project, for
all us FSF zealots to contribute to.  That won't change the licensing
of the main Mapserver branch, but it will make Mapserver available
under the GPL.  Clear as mud?

The only people that would be affected by Mapserver+AGG2.5 GPL would
be folks currently distributing binary-only, ALTERED versions of
Mapserver, who want to keep their alterations proprietary and
closed.  And then only if they insisted on distributing binary-only,
altered versions of Mapserver+AGG2.5!  Not many of those folks,
methinks?  MapDotNet Server? Anyone else?

Anyhow, the whole thing wrapped up on -DEV, with a note that the AGG
2.4 version seems to be working just fine, and there's no need to use
the 2.5 version at all right now.  So it is a hypothetical situation
right now.  But a great discussion for the pub, if you have a pad of
paper and pen to diagram out all the details!