MapServer and PostGIS GEOMETRY type

Delfos, Jacob Jacob.Delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Mon Oct 29 00:39:06 EDT 2007

Hi List,

For a particular client I have to translate a lot of MapInfo files into PostGIS. Some files may contain some different geometries, which ogr2ogr doesn't like. So I force the geometry type to "GEOMETRY" (-nlt GEOMETRY). It translates fine, and seems to draw fine in MapServer. But how does MapServer really deal with it?
If I have a polygon layer, and point it to a PostGIS table that contains objects of the type "GEOMETRY", does it simply ignore anything that is not a polygon? What about the results of attribute queries? Would those be filtered on the geometry type of the layer?

I can avoid using "GEOMETRY type" by translating the files in FME, but I'd prefer to recommend an Open Source solution.

Regards,

Jacob

JACOB DELFOS
GIS ANALYST
Maunsell Australia Pty Ltd
629 Newcastle Street, Leederville, WA 6007
PO Box 81, Leederville, WA 6902
Western Australia
ABN 20 093 846 925

Tel     + 61 8 9281 6185
Fax    + 61 8 9281 6297
jacob.delfos at maunsell.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the named recipient and are confidential. The copying or distribution of them or any information they contain by anyone other than the named recipient is prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies from your computer system and destroy all hard copies. It is the recipient's responsibility to check this email and any attachments to this email for viruses before use.