A really weird problem with querying a map

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Wed Oct 31 14:28:36 EDT 2007

Gregor,

What does the map file look like?  I assume that you really are querying
the layer that we see.

I ran into something with 5.0 and didn't think that much of it.  If you
haven't defined a TOLERANCE and TOLERANCEUNITS.  Try a tolerance of 1
meter or something like that.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Gregor Mosheh
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:27 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] A really weird problem with querying a
map

Hi, all. This is NOT your usual "why does my query template" not work
question. At least I hope I've beyond that. :)

The map URL:
http://maps.hostgis.com/cincoenergy/XTO/
Login:  hostgis / hostgis
(yes, all layers off by default is intentional)
Turn on the Tracts layer.

The problem:
Use the Get Info tool and click the map to query the Tracts layer.
Chances are that "msQueryByPoint(): Search returned no results."

But if you keep clicking around, there are a few spots where it does
work. For example, the larger blue parcel near the center: only the
northeast side of this parcel can be queried. The angular orange parcel
to the south of center: one can click-query at the vertex where the
parcel curves, but not elsewhere.

Any thoughts on why querying this layer would exhibit such odd behavior?

Other information:

The locations which work stay the same between numerous queries and page

reloads. It is not an intermittent problem, but is consistent.

This same application (with different data and locations) works
perfectly, clicking and querying just fine. The URLs being generated by
the clicks are pretty straightforward:
/cgi-bin/mapserv?mode=query&map=/maps/cincoenergy/XTO/mapfile.map&imgext
=3744617.200913247+3949835.6361420923+3753465.8228735304+3956941.3477162
593&imgxy=447+306&imgbox=447+306+447+306&imgsize=660+530&layers=Tracts]

The mapfile's layer entry is a polygon layer, with a query template
defined. When it works, it works great. So I doubt that it's an issue in

the mapfile.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA