QueryByRect problem in PHPmapscript

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Wed Oct 31 15:58:14 EDT 2007

I'm trying to understand how to do querying via PHP mapscript, and I
don't understand the results I'm getting. Basically I'm querying a
polygon layer of US States with a rectangle that intersects 8 states in
the upper midwest. It fully encloses two of these. The following script
seems to find only one result and it says the shapeindex is 42. Now I
know this is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and
everything, but how do I use this to get a list of the state names that
were found (and why is it only returning 1 found?)

What I want to do eventually is display these states on the map in a
highlighting color to show they were selected. If I'm going about this
all wrong, could somebody clue me in?

   $rect = ms_newRectObj();
   $rect->setextent(-50000, -50000, 50000, 50000);
   $lyr = $map->getLayer(1);  // states layer
   $results = $lyr->queryByRect($rect);
   if ($results == MS_FAILURE) {
      echo "Nothing found.<br />";
   } else {
      echo "Found " . $lyr->getNumResults()."<br />";
      for ($i=0; $i<$lyr->getNumResults(); $i++) {
         $rcache = $lyr->getResult($i);
         echo "   shapeindex: ".$rcache->shapeindex;
      }
   }
   $rect->free();