Raster layer - Howto?

Pascal Ehlert dadark at DADARK.DE
Wed Oct 31 16:57:37 EDT 2007

Hi list!

I'd like to use one of the new NASA Blue Marble Images (which are
available in TIFF format) for the
background of my map.

Unfortunately I have completely no idea how to start with raster layers.
What I figured out so far is, that I need (or at least it would be
helpful) GDAL, and a layer configuration like that:

########## NASA BLUE MARBLE ###########
   LAYER
     NAME "satellite"
     DATA "/var/www/odamap/blue_marble.tif"
     TYPE RASTER

     METADATA
       "wms_title" "ODAdata WMS Server SATELLITE"
     END
   END

That's my current configuration, but instead of showing Blue Marble
there, Mapserver only displays a white image when requesting the
satellite layer.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you in advance!

Regards,