hosted website installation

Tara Athan tara_athan at ALT2IS.COM
Sat Sep 1 17:45:18 EDT 2007

That command seemed to work OK, this is the line in the config.log

configure:2306: gcc -o conftest   -lstdc++ conftest.c  >&5

However, I get this error message from the ./configure command:

checking test program... failed
configure: error:
Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
for the exact reason.

I looked at config.log but I'm not sure what I am looking for.
I copied it to http://alt2is.com/mapserver/ if you are interested.

Backing up a little bit, do I have to install PostgreSQL in the local
directory?  It is available on my webserver, but the version is 7.4.13
I haven't seen anything specific anywhere about what version of psql is
required for mapserver.

I did find this statement
"If you intend to use your system's libgd, ensure that you have the
development package also installed so MapServer can find and use the
appropriate headers."
on the website
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/compiling_on_unix/#introduction

I suppose this might apply if I am using the system's psql.
Unfortunately I haven't a clue what it means.

Taking an even broader perspective, I am starting to wonder if
installing MapServer on a shared server is really a good idea.  It seems
that it is necessary to be fairly expert at Linux system administration
in order to get MapServer working in such an environment.  This is not
the typical background of someone with a website on a shared server- (it
certainly goes way beyond the Linux courses I have taken.)  And if that
is the case, it might be easier just to setup one's own webserver.
Also, since I have subscribed to this list I have seen a discussion
about how a certain Mapserver application caused the server to crash.  I
suspect that if something like that happened with MapServer that I had
installed on a shared server, my account would be cancelled. Its one
thing to crash the webserver for one's own site, quite another to crash
it in a shared system.

Tara

--
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan at alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470