Which Projection to use?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Sep 18 09:15:29 EDT 2007

Nelson,

I assume that you are trying to use MapServer as a WMS or WFS server.
If you haven't seen this HowTo, check it out:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server  It gives you an
example map file and tells you what metadata is required.

Part of serving a WMS/WFS is that people who want to use your data
service need to know what projection it is in.  To do this, they send a
GetCapabilities request and are returned a document that describes your
service.  Projection information is needed for the GetCapabilities.

The first step is to determine/understand what spatial reference system
(projection) your data is in.  Once you know that, you can add
projection blocks to your map file.  For your situation, it sounds like
the input projection for your data is the same as the output projection
of your map.  In other words, you are keeping it in the same projection.
In this case, you just need to put the same projection blocks at in the
MAP object and the LAYER object of your map file.

If your data was in UTM Zone15, NAD83, you could use a block like this:

PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:26915"
END

David.