MapServer 5.0.0 released!

Nolte, Tim Tim.Nolte at IPCSWIRELESSINC.COM
Tue Sep 18 10:42:13 EDT 2007

Timothy J Nolte - tnolte at ilpcs.com

Web: www.ipcswirelessinc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Daniel Morissette
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:21 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer 5.0.0 released!

Nolte, Tim wrote:
> [...]  One question I have about this final release is in
> direct response to your statement, "Equally important is that using
AGG
> results in a minimal reduction in performance.". I guess I'm really
> wondering how you are quantifying that?

That's based on feedback we got from most people who tested the new AGG
rendering. In most cases the impact was minimal and I think we even
heard of some cases where performance was better.

However I think there may have been a few exceptions, and your case is
clearly one. I didn't work directly on the AGG rendering myself so I
cannot comment on what could result in this performance hit. I'll let
those who know that part better comment on that.

BTW, if you could share a small test case (data + mapfile) that
demonstrates the difference then that would increase your chances of
getting help.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette