MapServer 5, AGG Antialiasing...

Wed Sep 19 15:04:04 EDT 2007

Andreas is correct, with AGG it's anti-aliasing all the time. Our implementation uses GD as the
canvas for AGG to render into so rendering different layers with different drivers is not that
far fetched, but is not available currently.

Keep in mind that I think we will see some performance improvements. Thomas tried one right
before the 5.0 release with good success. It was just too late in the development cycle to commit
those changes without testing. If we can achieve approximately equal performance then I think
letting GD do what it's good at makes sense. That may mean allowing 24-bit output but losing
AA support for GD (which pales in comparison to AGG). Time will tell.

Steve