ogr tileindex with postgis?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Sep 20 12:47:31 EDT 2007

Neil Best wrote:
> Is it possible to use a PostGIS table as a tileindex?  The docs seem to
> indicate so, but I could not find an example of how to connect to
> PostGIS through CONNECTIONTYPE OGR.  I have made some reasonable
> attempts including TILEINDEX "PG:'host=myhost dbname=mydb',mytable"
> (analogous to the examples givens) and using CONNECTIONTYPE postgis in
> the usual fashion and substituting TILEINDEX for DATA, but it always
> seems to be looking for a shapefile.  Normally I would provide better
> snippets but I wanted to throw the question out there before going home
> tonight, so if anyone has any insight or relevant web links I would
> appreciate that information very much.  Thanks.

Neil,

Are you wanting to use postgis as a tileindex for a raster or a vector
layer?  I only have experience doing this for raster layers, but it might
also work for vector layers.

Generally if you want to use postgis for a tileindex, you need to create
a seperate tileindex layer and then reference that layer by name in the
TILEINDEX keyword of the tiled layer.

Best regards,