Create a TileIndex shape file for raster data dynamically

Trond Michelsen trondmm-mapserver at CRUSADERS.NO
Tue Sep 25 18:12:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:17:06AM +0200, Zhonghai Wang wrote:
> I know that the tile index shape file for raster data works very well in
> MapServer. I am just wondering if there is someway to create the tile index
> file dynamically using MapScript or GDAL/OGR, not only use the MapServer
> utilities.
>
> Do you guys have any idea? or did anyone ever do anything like this?

I may need to generate my own raster tileindexes myself soon, and
based on what I've read about gdaltindex, it should be fairly easy to
do.

If I've understood everything correctly, all you have to do, is
generate a shapefile with rectangles that has the same coordinates as
the boundaries of each raster file. Then, the path to that file needs
to be placed in the field "location" in the dbf-file that accompanies
the shapefiles.

I'll take a stab at making a perl-utility for this tomorrow. I'll let
you know how it turns out.

--
Trond Michelsen