Rasters, TileIndex and Shapefiles - Oh My! Really Confused

Christopher Harris docterrobert at MSN.COM
Wed Sep 26 14:15:14 EDT 2007

Thanks again, Ed.  I need to clear up some things that I guess I didn't make clear.

I know that a world file provides georeferencing.  I meant to say that I had a .gif that had no georeferencing info associated with it, and then added one.  From there I got my initial app to work (displaying the big map).

One thing I omitted was that the little .gifs (tiles), when assembled, make up a different big map pic then the one where mentioned :
“it uses one .gif
(the big map pic), attaches the big map to the globe via a world file.
That big map .gif had no georeferencing info attached to it."Before I had a pic of a large section of a college campus.  Now I have a pic of the entire campus, but in little tiles.
I know Mapserver makes maps and not pics too.  I probably just worded something wrong.
"So – what do you know about these
images?  Do you really have a world file that correctly describes your big GIF
image?  Do you know exactly how the little images were created from the big
image?  If so, you should be able to figure out how to generate world files for
each individual image.  If not, you’ll need to get that information for
your big image."

Yes, I have a world file, but it's for the pic that shows a large section of the campus - not for the big pic that is the sum of the little pics.

Ok, so then I have to have a world file for every little tile, but before that I need to correctly set up the world file for the big pic, which I guess I'll need to assemble in Photoshop.  Does that sound right?  I can do it, it's just a bit tedious lining up the tiles and such.  Also, how do you correctly align a pic of some map on the globe.  I've been using Google Maps to do it.  I'll sit there and study where the pic's corners should approximately be, then get the lat/lon from that (clicking directions to or from will yield the lat/lons).

Thank you.

 - Chris  Subject: RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Rasters, TileIndex and Shapefiles - Oh My!  Really Confused