[mapserver-users] MapServer Apache module

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLK Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Tue Apr 1 03:01:10 EDT 2008

Hi again,

> The thread was titled "ModMapServer?" and started on March 13:

Jupp, found it - quickly searched for "Apache" first :)

> I don't know what Apache expects exactly, but I think it would be
> reasonable to create a new msReturnHTTPHeaders() function that would
> replace all those printf's for the headers

For a first try we could even set a macro in mapio.h which defines
something like msIO_setContentType(type) to msIO_fprintf or
request_rec->content_type=type depending whether we build for CGI or
Apache module.

> The FastCGI code should already handle that kind of stuff
> With respect to keeping database connections opened, the PROCESSING
> "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER" directive already does that

Well, that are good news since it saves a lot of expensive
modifications. I used that option already but was not sure if they are
only kept open for a single request (just to handle multiple layers from
one datasource) or would stay open till shutdown...

> Well, your patch doesn't have to be final before you share it
publicly.
> I'm already swamped with stuff ...
> there are a few people who
> expressed interest in this feature on the list and that would work out

> the issues with you much quicker than myself

OK, too late - already sent it to you yesterday, sorry :) I will
register myself and open a ticket with that patch appended as you
suggested. I didn't want to blow too much dust in the wind and fool
those people. I propably should put a big fat warning in the ticket.

Since this is the users-list the only remaining question is: should be
something posted to the devel list or is issueing the ticket enough?