[mapserver-users] Dynamic Mapserver Technology

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Tue Apr 1 07:41:04 EDT 2008

schwarzr at grid.unep.ch schreef:
> Hi there,
>
> one is seeing more and more flash-map sites on the web. It seems almost as if
> these are some kind of competition for the "real" IMS sites. Surely no real
> GIS application; but in many cases some basic information display is
> sufficient.

In my opinion: Commercially, the "real" GIS market is not at all as
atractive as the "basic, more practical solutions" you see evolving all
around us. GIS itself is often more an "in crowd" at local governments
and large spatial companies, whereas businesses that need a map to
enhance their business are often better of NOT having a real GIS and
thus offer far better opportunities for openGIS companies and
independent consultants. But this is my personal opinion.
> So I wonder how far one can go with mapserver. Probably one has to use as
> well the flash-output option? And then, is there the possibility to
> dynamically highlight a country when the mouse is over that country? Display
> additional information - something like a country profile etc.... Everything
> within one single application, without the need to reload a page, another
> window etc.?

There is an excelent opensource Flash webclient available:
www.flamingo-mc.org it's development was supported by the dutch
government and I have had the opportunity to use flamingo-mc to push a
GIS-like solution to a market currently unfamiliar with GIS and this
offers promising commercial opportunities.

Basically, you configure Flamingo-mc to connect to WMS-servers. You can
even enhance it by setting up mapserver as WFS to return feature info.
For me this all operates with mapserver in the background, not returning
SWF, but just "basic" png images.

If you want more details on the solution I set up, contact me directly
and I can let you have a peek at what I created.

Kind regards,

Milo van der Linden