[mapserver-users] Access to a raster via http

warmerdam at pobox.com warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 1 18:35:39 EDT 2008

-------------- next part --------------
Ruben Pardo wrote:
> I wanted to know if it is possible to access a raster file via http,
> something similar to
>
> LAYER
>           NAME "capaRasterVirtual"
>           DATA "http://localhost/archivo.tiff"
>           TYPE RASTER
>          DEBUG        ON
>
>           STATUS ON
>   END

Ruben,

I haven't tried it, but I think this should work *if* your GDAL is
built against curl ("gdalinfo --format http" should report info).

But, keep in mind that archivo.tiff will be fetched for every map
request whether it falls within the bounds of the request or not.
And the whole file is fetched even if only a small subset or decimated
view is needed.

So I don't think of this as a generally prudent thing to be doing.

Best regards,