[MAPSERVER-USERS] How to reference multiple byte characters in symbol file?

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 14:27:48 EDT 2008

My understanding is that the only type of vector (non-bitmap) font I can use
for mapserver is a TrueType font.

I'm starting with a PostScript Type 1 font.  (And a quick test seemed to
confirm that this is not directly useable.)  I used fontforge
(http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/) to generate a TrueType font from the
PostScript font.  The problem here is that the characters I want are now
located way above the single byte range (e.g. way above character number 255
within the font.)

Is there any way to reference a multibyte character in the CHARACTER
declaration of the symbol file:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/symbology/syntax

Something akin to the \x{ab}\x{cd} (or \x{abcd} ?) notation of Perl?  This
exact notation doesn't work for me, it just interprets the characters as
those
individual ASCII characters (i.e. backslash, lower case x, open curly brace,
etc.)  I am able to enter non-ASCII characters into the symbol file (I use
hexl-mode in emacs), but mapserver seems to interpret these as individual
byte
characters, regardless of what encoding I intend.  I have multi-byte
characters (UTF-8) in my data and deal with that with the ENCODING
declaration
within LABEL in the map file:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/label

But I don't see any such declaration for a symbol file.

This mailing list thread is somewhat related:

http://www.nabble.com/-UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS--Special-characters-in-mapfile-to901771.html#a901771

But it doesn't really help, since those examples are still just for single
byte chars.

This isn't an urgent need.  I am able to work around it by editing the
TrueType font file (again with fontforge) and copy the couple of chars that
need down to empty spots in the single byte range, and reference those
instances.  But I am curious whether or not this is doable without that kind
of hack.

- Rich