[mapserver-users] Mapserver + Openlayers legend problem

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Mon Apr 14 14:50:31 EDT 2008

An embedded scale bar is just not going to work with an OpenLayers type
of interface.  (unless, I guess, you use the single, non-tiled layer
type in OpenLayers.  But then you aren't going to get the cool Googley
Goodness slippy map effect.
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/mapserver_untiled.html )

The problem is that OpenLayers splits your map window request up in to
little tiles.  This allows it to easily add more tiles outside of your
map window, giving that seamless appearance.  When OpenLayers requests
all of the tiles for your map, each tile is an individual call to
MapServer and your MapServer doesn't know that all of these request are
related, they are just requests.

So, if you have an embeded scalebar or legend, it will show up in each
tile.  If you are using OpenLayers, there might be a way to place a
legend graphic on top of your map, kind of like the overview map.
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/overviewmap.html  Otherwise, you
may just want to have a spot outside of the map div where you show a
legend.

David.