[mapserver-users] How best to serve very large (300GB) raster data?

Xiaodong Zhang xiaodong.zhang2 at und.edu
Sat Apr 19 12:07:35 EDT 2008

Hi John,

We've used MapServer to serve satellite images for many years, with each
of sizes at least 300 GB. Here are what we do:

1. Don't not let database to or any other application such as ArcSDE to
handle images. We do use Oracle, but it only saves links to images. Let
MapServer to access images directly.
2. Use tiles for each images

You can check our site http://dngp.umac.org to evaluate if the
performance can meet your need. Also note, the server where MapServer
resides uses NFS to access images and our network is only working at 100
Mbps, performance can certainly be improved if mapserver has a direct
(say, FC) connection to images.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Xiaodong