[MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserv problems on Fedora

Philippe Kruschitz p_kruschitz at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 06:35:00 EDT 2008

Hi,

I posted to the list before with a "shared libraries" problem causing
mapserv to crash. Daniel Morissette got it right, as I was working on a
RHEL5 server. The excellent link sent by Doug Newcomb was pretty helpful
too, but unfortunately, I had to get MS running as soon as possible, so I
disabled SELinux completely (I'll get back to configuring it correctly,
though...)

After rebooting, trying to access mapserv without any parameters showed the
following (correctly?):
'No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.'

But as soon as I try to display a map file, the same blank page that showed
before returned.
In the error_log, I found an ugly stack, apparently caused by a glibc
problem:

[Fri Apr 25 05:09:00 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] *** glibc detected ***
/var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv: free(): invalid next size (fast):
0x0000000010137900 ***

Searching on the forum, I found this thread where you obviously dealt with a
similar problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't really understand how or if you solved the problem.
I would be grateful if one of you could explain to me what is exactly
happening and how I could possibly solve my problem....

Regards,

Philippe

PS: I'm running on a 64-bit RHEL5 server with Mapserver compiled from
source...

./mapserv -v
MapServer version 5.0.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE