[mapserver-users] Mapscript for C++

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 25 16:21:18 EDT 2008

Julian Winter wrote:
> Is it possible to use Mapscript from C++ directly?  If so, what
> files/libraries are needed?
>
> I am implementing a web application using the Wt Web Toolkit and I would
> like to be able to generate online maps from it.
>
> Thanks.

Julian,

You can call MapServer library C functions from C++ and manipulate
the mapserver objects directly.  However, MapServer does not have an
intentional, public documented C API so you pretty much have to operate
based on code inspection and it is quite possible that the API will morph
in future versions.  Basically doing stuff this way tends to require more
digging on your part, and is likely somewhat fragile, but it is quite
doable.

Looking at mapserver.h, and stuff in the mapscript include files
(mapserver/mapscript/swiginc) should give you some ideas on how things
are done.

Best regards,