[mapserver-users] Maximum number of layers?

Emerson, Gabe gemerson at WelshCo.com
Thu Aug 21 14:01:29 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm running into an error when I try to use more than 64 layers in my
map. I know the older versions of Mapserver could handle at least 100
layers, and I've read posts from people who currently use up to several
hundred (I'm using v5.2.0) so I'm not sure what's going on.

The error I get is:

GCI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set
of HTTP headers.

I have a couple hundred layers that I'd like to show. I can live with a
limit of 200-300 if necessary, but 64 seems rather on the low side. The
majority are points with pixmap symbols, but I also have some aerials,
road vectors, and polygon vectors. I've tried this with different
subsets of layers, so it doesn't seem to be any one layer or set of
layers in particular causing the problem.  64 seems to be the maximum I
can have enabled no matter what type they are.

I initially thought this could be a problem with the rendering of the
pixmaps, but I've tried changing a few symbols to vectors with the same
result. I also considered that the legend was becoming too large, but
when I have 64 layers on, adding one more causes the same error even if
it's a layer with no legend entry.

I am using POST to pass the layers from plain old HTML, GET acts the
same way. As far as I can tell there's no hard limit for the size/length
of text passed this way, and I'm not getting any size-exceeded errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

-Gabe Emerson