[mapserver-users] Maximum number of layers?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Aug 21 14:17:36 EDT 2008

There is no static limit on the number of layers in a map with MapServer
5.2. It must be something in one of your layers that causes MapServer to
fail. Have a look at your Apache's error_log file, it may contain hints
about the problem... you could also try enabling debug/logging and see
if that triggers any useful info (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-28/)

Daniel

Emerson, Gabe wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I’m running into an error when I try to use more than 64 layers in my
> map. I know the older versions of Mapserver could handle at least 100
> layers, and I’ve read posts from people who currently use up to several
> hundred (I’m using v5.2.0) so I’m not sure what’s going on.
>

> The error I get is:
>

> GCI Error
>
> The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set
> of HTTP headers.
>

> I have a couple hundred layers that I’d like to show. I can live with a
> limit of 200-300 if necessary, but 64 seems rather on the low side. The
> majority are points with pixmap symbols, but I also have some aerials,
> road vectors, and polygon vectors. I’ve tried this with different
> subsets of layers, so it doesn’t seem to be any one layer or set of
> layers in particular causing the problem.  64 seems to be the maximum I
> can have enabled no matter what type they are.
>

> I initially thought this could be a problem with the rendering of the
> pixmaps, but I’ve tried changing a few symbols to vectors with the same
> result. I also considered that the legend was becoming too large, but
> when I have 64 layers on, adding one more causes the same error even if
> it’s a layer with no legend entry.
>

> I am using POST to pass the layers from plain old HTML, GET acts the
> same way. As far as I can tell there’s no hard limit for the size/length
> of text passed this way, and I’m not getting any size-exceeded errors.
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
>

> Thanks,
>

> -Gabe Emerson

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/