[mapserver-users] Using mapserver with EPSG:900913

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Aug 26 20:16:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 05:21:48PM -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> > Type the following:
> >
> >  new OpenLayers.LonLat(-71,42).transform(new
> >  OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"), new
> >  OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:900913"));
>
> I know I'll get slammed for this, but it should be something more like:
>
> new OpenLayers.LonLat(-71,42).transform(new
> OpenLayers.CS("EPSG:4326"), new
> OpenLayers.CS("EPSG:900913"));
>
> Because EPSG:4326 is not a Projection, it is a Coordinate System.

I don't mind you saying that, but the user should realize that when you
say "Should Be" you're not not instructing what he should actually be
doing in his current code, since the OpenLayers Library uses
OpenLayers.Projection, not OpenLayers.CS. (It also calls XYs "LonLat"s,
and many other similar mistaken naming choices.)

I'd recommend if you care about this issue, you should bring it up with
the OpenLayers development list, but I wouldn't bother; getting people
to undestand "Projection" is hard enough. (ANd why should it be CS
instead of CRS? or SRS? Or any number of other names that it could be
related to?)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt