[mapserver-users] world vector shorelines shpfile - convert meters to DD in mapfile

P.Romero romero619 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 14:55:26 EST 2008

Hello,

Im a new mapserver user, and I don't really have any experience in GIS.

I have had success plotting the "World sub Country Administrative Units
1998" shapefile (admin98.shp), using DD units and lat/lon extents.

However, now I am trying to plot the following shapefile:

World Vector Shoreline

world_shorelines.shp

More information on this shapefile can be found here:

http://www.pdc.org/mde/full_metadata.jsp?docId=%7B32F5F3B8-1CF1-48C5-9B81-57
885C0CA448%7D

The problem is that this shapefile uses units which are in meters, and not
in decimal degrees.

However, my application calls for setting the map extents using lat/lon
values.

How can I use lat/lon (DD) units using this shapefile?

Will the shapefile need to be "reprofected"? if so, how can this be done,
and what should be the target projection?

Or, can this simply be configured through the mapfile (using the
"projection" directives?)????

Please help.